Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Ode to the Stay at Home Mom

I couldn't wait until the day that my daughter was born. I was so excited to be a stay at home mom and to quit my job. I never realized how difficult it would be. I always had the fairy tale vision of going to the park, keeping the house spotless, having dinner on the table every night, and finally having time for myself. A couple days after my daughter was born I found that the reality is the complete opposite. It's too hot to go to the park during the summer. Everytime I try to clean something, Haley wants to be held or wakes up from her nap. Dinner time=fussy time. There is little time I have for myself because there is always something that needs to be done.


The hardest part for me about being a stay at home mom is feeling lonely. After working at the same company for 8 years and constantly being around people, I didn't really know how to be alone. Sometimes the T.V. is my constant companion. I talk a lot to Haley (and our puppy), but it isn't the same as adult interaction.


On the flip side of all this, being a stay at home mom is very rewarding. I am there to witness almost all of my daughter's new milestones. With all the time we spend together, Haley and I have developed a very strong bond. I am free during the day to do different activities. The best feeling in the world is when Haley smiles at me or laughs with me and the ability to know what to do when she is upset is something that no one will ever be able to do as well as I can.

Here are some of the things that I have found helpful in adjusting to motherhood:
  • Meet new moms. Try a website like http://www.meetup.com/ to find a group of moms in your area. The group that I am a member of holds daily activities. It is a great way to get out of the house and to connect with others in the same situation.
  • Take time for youself everyday. Don't feel guilty taking a nap, a bath, or even reading a book during your child's naptime. Your child will reap the benefits later!
  • Find events around the community to attend during the day. Many public libraries have baby storytime aimed at babies from newborns to 2.
  • Make a schedule for your baby, but be flexible. Don't be afraid to go out of the house every once in a while during your baby's normal naptime.
  • Find someone responsible to watch your baby so that you can go to a movie or even get a pedicure every once in a while.

Whether you are a stay at home mom or you are returning to work, the transition can be very hard. Check out these resources from one of my favorite websites:

www.babycenter.com/stay-at-home-mom-dad

www.babycenter.com/working-mom-parents

No comments: