Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Sleep! (or lack of)

Ah...the days of getting a full night sleep. I am afraid these days are over. I now understand why my grandma still gets up every morning at 5 A.M. despite the fact that her children have been gone for years. Having a child definitely changes your mindset about sleep. I now find myself getting up early just to take a shower. If I don't take a shower at 6 A.M. it is usually 3 in the afternoon before I get around to taking one! The time that Haley sleeps is the best time for me to get things done. Even right now I am blogging, eating breakfast, doing my make-up, and watching the Today show. The question is: how do you get your child to sleep?

One of the greatest challenges of being a new mom has been trying to figure out how to get Haley to sleep. Everyone seems to have advice about how to get your child to sleep, but what I have found is that every baby is different. There are several methods that have been proven effective. Check out these websites for advice on different methods:

www.babycenter.com/baby-sleep-problems-solutions
www.askdrsears.com/html/7/T070100.asp

Here are the things that I have found effective (remember what works for one parent may not work for another):
  • Create a bedtime routine (i.e. bath, book, song, bed)
  • Create an nap routine. This should be different from your bedtime routine.
  • Create an environment conducive to sleep (I purchased a sound machine to block out outside noises and to use as a cue to sleep)
  • Be willing to try different things. What works for your child will most likely change over time.
  • If you find something that works don't be afraid to use it. For example, if your child likes to nap in the swing, let him sleep in the swing. It won't hurt!
  • Ask your partner for help. On days that I can't manage to get Haley to sleep, I give her to my husband and of course she seems to fall right to sleep. It also provides good bonding time for your partner.

Feel free to leave some comments about what has worked for you!




Bookmark and Share

No comments: